Monday 10 July 2017

Shark fin melon soup (鱼翅瓜)

My family has been asking for this soup for some time and I could not find it because it is not always available. The other day when I saw it in the market I was so happy I bought half the melon to cook the soup. It was when I reached home that I remembered the rest of the family are away on holiday and I had to drink this soup all by myself. Anyway, I finished it in 2 days because the melon is so yummy. Actually the soup tasted much better the next day.


Shark Fin Melon is a fruit often used as a vegetable. When cooked in soup, the flesh turns into fine strands which resemble shark-fin! This is how it got its name. The skin looks like watermelon and the flesh is white, firm and translucent. It is low in calories and helps reduce body heatiness and lowers blood sugar. It is safer to buy ½ the melon because it is quite big in size.

Ingredients



½ shark fin melon
1 chicken carcass






Remember to blanch the chicken






Remove the skin






Remove the seeds and cut into big wedges







Wash the dates, kei chi and yuk chuk







Put all the ingredients into the pot
Today I am using the thermal cooker as I am going out later






Add salt and pepper. Cover and bring to boiling point





Transfer the inner pot into the outer container
That’s it the soup will be ready in 4-5 hours






The soup is ready






This what the melon strands look like

No comments:

Post a Comment